Monday, June 16, 2008

Day 56: Van Damme's Code of the Samurai

"The difference between me and others who had the same dream was that I was and still am unable to understand the meaning of the word quit or give up. I will not quit. They would have to kill me before I ever give up on anything I believe in. This is the code of the samurai, at least the way I understand it."

That was said by Van Damme during an interview with FightingArts.com

I read this while visualizing today. Whether he is right or wrong in regards to his interpretation doesn't really concern me. What is of relevance to me however, is how I believe I have this same mentality. In a sense, I think all of us shredders have this mentality.

It is a rather simple ideology, but it is actually not something everyone carries within him. If you tell me I can not do something, I do it, not once but twice, or three times. You tell me a goal of mine is out of reach, I get there at an incredible pace.

I don't know what, if any name, that kind of attitude carries, but I believe it defines who I am in a sense.

I remember during the first few days of my transformation, I mentioned to a few Energy Vampires ("friends") that I had ran two miles the day before. They laughed, asked if I was sure I had not walked or jogged those smiles, and stared at my body with smug faces. I invited both of them to the gym the following day, and ran 3 miles in front of them. Their faces of disbelief fueled my training for the next few days.

One of them even joined me in my transformation, only to give up about 5 weeks in, despite my constant words of encouragement.

P.S. I want to thank Adam Water's who I consider my mentor, for mentioning me in his blog:
http://rtpblog2.wordpress.com/

Adam, count me in the ShredderSphere come day 30 and thanks to all of the Shredders for your words of encouragement, they are fuel for my training and transformation.

No comments: