Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day 65: Food of Mexico




While I live in Southern California, I spend most of my leisure time in Mexico. Up until late last week when my car broke down, I crossed the border at least once a day. Its beautiful and I go there as much as I can because of the culture and the people. Kidnappings and all of that stuff... it happens, but I live life to the max and that involves taking risks.

I mention Mexico because the food there is great, but it also happens to stink when it comes to nutrition! Tortillas, beef, pork, lots of fried stuff, etc. A lot of delicious food that I have not eaten since, well 65 days ago.

Cold turkey, I gave it all up. Can you believe I have not indulged myself with a single "reward meal"/"cheat meal"? It has simply never made sense to me and I have enough self discipline to not yearn for, or cave into temptation. Stopped the light drinking I indulged in when I would go out on the weekends. In fact, because I am so focused on my health and the gym, I have given up those nights of going out and coming back at 6 in the morning.

I made some drastic changes in my life to get to where I am at now and I am proud of it. I really wouldn't have it any other way, even with Taco Bell, In & Out Burgers, and all sorts of delicious fast food restaurants surrounding my gym.

But back on topic, food from Mexico I CAN eat?
Sea food! Delicious and healthy shrimp cocktails and a dish known as "ceviche".

"In Mexico and other parts of Central America, it is served in cocktail cups with crackers, or as a tostada topping and taco filling. Shrimp, octopus, squid, tuna, and mackerel are popular bases for Mexican ceviche. The ingredients include salt, lemon, onion, chile, avocado, coriander, and parsley. Tomatoes are often added to the preparation." - Taken from the Wikipedia Article on it.

I know some of you gal shredders are into the recipes and whatnot, give it a try, its delicious and healthy.

--------------------------------
Went to the gym today and put in a good chest+shoulder workout, along with the "core combo" that Adam implements into his workouts. Did some HIIT as soon as I got there, and ended the workout with some steady state cardio, followed by a few minutes in the sauna.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan, mate you are transforming right before our very eyes. Today's pic speaks for itself mate. Shred on Dan, your success is inevitable.
Adam

Daniel GP said...

Thanks Adam, you have no idea how much that means coming from you. I wish your system was up and ready so I could use THAT for mission 1.

Anonymous said...

Daniel, you are looking great...I see more muscle definition happening...but most of all, love to see you smiling!