Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Day 57: Afternoon Workout


Quick Picture from today, be back after I eat to post.

--UPDATE--

Back from my quick meal, shower, and nap.

I am not a big fan of going to the gym in the afternoon. I am already feeling a bit tired from work, and I miss that energy boost that I get throughout the day when I go early in the morning. Not to mention the packed gym in the afternoon, in which you have trouble finding available equipment.

I went in there today, in the afternoon, somewhat dreadful of the packed gym, but I was empowered by the fact that I had not been at the gym in two days and was feeling this itch to get on that treadmill. So, I did my HIIT, got through some abs and lower back workouts, got on the stairmaster while I waited for the equipment I needed to be available, and finally went and did some intense chest workouts (bench press, dumbbell flies, decline bench, incline bench, and some more good stuff. Finished up with a good 10 minutes in the sauna and called it a day afterwards.

Something interesting happened in there today though...

I ran into my first "Energy Vampire" (Like Adam Waters at http://rtpblog2.wordpress.com/ would call them) at the gym. I was finishing up my chest workout with some cable exercises for the chest, when a guy comes up to me and tells me to give it up, and "stop pissing in the wind". He told me to go work on my forearm instead. We are talking about some 250+ lbs guy (looked like mostly fat), that comes up to scrawny looking me, working with the cables that appear to be close to ripping off my arms, haha.

I looked at him, could only muster a simple "Oh", and kept working out until I finished my reps/sets. I walk over to the nearest treadmill where the guy is sitting down laughing with his buddies and run a quick 6 minute mile. Get off, stare, and go take a shower.

I was surprised more than anything else, because I could see no way in which that might have been a constructive or positive comment on his part. Even more so, because it was the first time in my close to two months of going there, that anybody has said anything but a positive comment.

Goodnight everybody.

6 comments:

Mike Groom said...

Don't let the big guys intimidate you! I'm glad my gym doesn't have any of those types.

Daniel GP said...

Don't worry Mike. Comments like that are just fuel for my workout. I was kind of showing off or saying "Bet you cant do this" to the guy, when I got on that treadmill and ran that 6minute mile. This guy probably wont be the last vampire, especially as I begin to ramp up for my first real mission.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Mike! Don't let the big guys intimidate you! They're just muscle-heads! You'll have transformed when they are still all talk and no show.

Meredith said...

6 minute mile...wow, that's great Daniel!

Debbie said...

Hi Daniel, guys like that aren't worth the effort. Don't give it a second thought. It's their own insecurity showing through.

Looking forward to seeing your PRWs on Saturday!

KaliLilla.com said...

Just use the vampires to fuel your fire, Daniel! I bet he can barely walk a 30-minute mile. ;)